ART X Lagos is West Africa’s premier international art fair, designed to showcase the best and most innovative contemporary and modern art from the African continent and its Diaspora.
Launched in 2016, the art fair has since become a cornerstone of the Lagos art calendar, drawing local patrons and a host of international collectors, curators, and critics annually. Since its debut, four editions of ART X Lagos have held, welcoming over 31,000 visitors to see the works of Africa’s leading established and emerging artists, including representatives of institutions such as the Tate Modern, Zeitz MOCAA, the National Museum of African Art at the Smithsonian, the Art Institute of Chicago and Centre Pompidou. These attendees and the satellite exhibitions that have emerged in response to the fair, are undoubtedly indicators of Lagos’ position as a fast-emerging and exciting cultural hub.
About the Role
ART X Collective is looking for a Chief of Staff to work closely with our CEO and team leads, on strategy, business development, operations, and project management.
This role is an exceptional opportunity for someone who truly has the vision and belief to build on the solid foundations that have already been laid at ART X Collective.
The Chief of Staff will review the Company’s business plan on an ongoing basis, working across the various business units and initiatives to set targets, monitor their achievement, and assess their profitability. A core part of the role will involve sales strategy and management, business development and managing client relations within the Company’s target demographics.
The Chief of Staff will function as an overarching project manager for the Company and its ongoing initiatives, working with team leads and external agents to develop their project management work plans, as well as ensuring that projects adhere to their set timelines and budgets, by taking charge of operations and ensuring smooth operational delivery.
The Chief of Staff will also be required to take charge of certain key departments within ongoing Company initiatives, such as sales and guest relations, admin and logistics.
The Chief of Staff will work closely with the CEO on new business, product development, and the Company’s growth trajectory, by researching, developing and testing new product lines and revenue streams for the Company, as well as developing the Company’s consulting arm and managing ongoing consulting projects.
This role will include working with various team leads, staff, agencies and consultants, as well as managing relationships with external stakeholders.
For this role, candidates will need to be both strategically and commercially minded, and should have a strong grasp of project management and business development – superior organisation skills will be key. Vital for this role will be strong interpersonal and leadership skills, as the Chief of Staff, will need to promote teamwork and the Company’s values, which are important for our business success. Candidates should also possess excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills. Above all, a keen interest in the creative industry will be advantageous.
Position Motivators- “Why should anyone want this job”?
- Intellectual Challenge- Position offers the platform to handle tasks and situations that require strategic thinking to understand things, especially difficult or complicated ideas, and subjects and finding intelligent ways to provide solutions.
- Variety- Position provides a great deal of variety in the nature of the work performed.
- Positioning- The position offers experience and access to people and opportunities that will position you well for your next career move.
Job Category: Permanent (Full-Time)
Job Level: Manager
Reporting Relationship: CEO
Required Experience: Prior experience in either Management Consulting, Business
Development, Strategy and/or Project Management roles
KPIs: To be determined upon resumption
ART X Collective seeks to transform the culture sector in Africa and builds platforms and businesses to empower the continent’s leading creative talent.
Founded by Tokini Peterside, the company’s current platforms include:
- ART X Lagos – the premier international art fair in West Africa
- The ART X Prize – the leading arts prize in Nigeria for emerging artists
- ART X Live! – a dynamic show that merges visual art and live music.
ART X Collective also includes an advisory arm, and since 2013 has supported pioneering entrepreneurs and brands across the culture, design and luxury sectors.
Kindly visit the following pages for more information on our brands:
- The ideal candidate will be flexible and able to adapt to emerging business priorities while able to build the organisational structure, systems, and processes required to execute these priorities. While there is room for this role’s responsibilities to evolve as ART X Collective’s priorities evolve, and as the candidate’s strengths and interests evolve, the Key Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure all Company activities are executed on time and on budget and adhere to the set business plans.
- Maintain operational efficiencies and run the overarching project management of the Company’s various business units, supporting team leads, coordinating work streams and team members, to guarantee Company efficiency.
- Manage directly and execute key business functions, such as running the sales department and guest relations, admin and logistics for key initiatives.
- Support the CEO in the execution of business strategies and plans to deliver the Company’s growth agenda, meet set goals, and increase profitability – Establish the company’s objectives, and track progress against goals.
- Strengthen existing Company products and initiatives by exploring business development, partnership, and revenue generation opportunities, as well as managing sales opportunities.
- Assess and identify opportunities for growth in current and prospective markets.
- Collaborate with the marketing teams and product specialists on new product/initiative design and roll-outs, handling the general management of the incubation phases of these new products.
- Lead the execution of Special Projects – develop and deliver pitches for new business; assume project management and client account management responsibilities.
- Manage external relationships within the Company’s various target demographics, made up of international and local institutions and individuals.
- Execute on talent strategy around maximizing the employee experience – Recruit and develop new employees, performing regular employee evaluations to determine areas of improvement.
- Support CEO with maintaining a comprehensive Company budget and performing financial analyses.
- Support team leads on procurement negotiations and vendor management including the review of legal contracts and Heads of Terms
- Other tasks as assigned by the CEO.
Qualifications & Education Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in any relevant field.
- Outstanding leadership abilities – Excellent people skills and relationship management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior knowledge of, and passion for, the creative industry.
- Demonstrable analytical thinking and business insight.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Great attention to detail
Applications Accepted By:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Kindly attach a Cover Letter, CV and a brief description of your medium-to-long-term goals and how the Chief of Staff role at ART X Collective positions you to achieve these goals. Kindly limit your writing to no more than 400 words.
Subject Line: Chief of Staff Application
Note: Only successful applicants will be contacted.