Première Urgence Internationale is a non-profit, non-political, non-religious international NGO. Première Urgence Internationale helps civilians who are marginalized or excluded as a result of natural disasters, war, and economic collapse. Our mission is to defend basic human rights, such as those set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.
We are recruiting for the following positions:
Job Position: Nurse At Premiere Urgence Internationale
Job Location: Monguno, Borno
Contract Start Date: 1st May 2020.
Nationality: For Nigeria Nationals only (Male / Female)
Slot: 2 Openings
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the Health Supervisor, the Nurse provides patients consultations in collaboration with Midwife and other team members in the facility.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure quality and continuity of care, promotion, and restoration of health of patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure and conduct the medical consultations with full history taking, clinical examination and provide a diagnosis and prescribe treatment accordingly following the protocols and universal precautions
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment
- Request for a 2nd evaluation of the patient when needed
- Provide individual health promotion during consultations
- Delegate the treatment cares (distribution of drugs, injections, dressings…) to Nurse assistant
- Manage and report any suspected communicable disease case according to Première Urgence Internationale’s protocols and national Disease Surveillance guidelines
- Execute any action requested by the PM, DPM or Medical Coordinator as part of the outbreak response plan
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team
- Record on a readable manner the health status and medical prescription
- Participate in the follow-up of the waste management according to the waste management procedures
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey…according to the needs and as directed.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
Management of an Efficient Referral System:
- Manage the emergency and electives referral cases according to the referral protocol by facilitating the logistics including transportation means, an appointment with specialists, laboratory tests, etc. in collaboration with OPT supervisor
- Follow up the referred cases, and check the outcome
- Ensuring appropriate follow-up care has been given and taking appropriate action if further care is needed
- Identify and refer patients who need mental health consultation
Medical data collection and reporting:
- Record accurately and in a readable manner, the clinical case management on the patient health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.), and patient registration book
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data
- Participate actively in the early warning system and the outbreak response plan
- Collect general information about the people living conditions
- Participate in the assessment of health needs
- Participate in the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with OPT supervisor and the deputy program manager
- Ensure an oral hand over at every team change over, draw attention to any notable events during the shift
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
Internal and external representation:
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
Note: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the department
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health-relevant and treat him.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa and good knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: Recognized Nurse Degree (at least certificate level) with national legislation and valid License number.
- Work experience: At least 2 years of experience in Nursing, or in OPD services. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Good knowledge of Communicable and Non Communicable diseases
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Good knowledge of Medical Ethics.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief and interest in social issues
- Understanding of the political situation in the area.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage the relationship in potentially tense situations
- Team Spirit
- Be available for any emergency
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation.
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements in the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check the validity of information, logical thinking
Job Position: Deputy Project Manager At Premiere Urgence Internationale
Job Location: Monguno, Borno
Contract Start Date: 01st May, 2020
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only (Male/Female)
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA, and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of the Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Kroskawa LGA.
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Project Manager, the Deputy Nutrition Project Manager shall ensure the overall support and direct supervision of the teams working in PUI project sites in Bolori II.
- S/he will work closely with the Nutrition Project Manager in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring of agreed nutrition project activities in line with PUI and Donor guidelines.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Implementation and Monitoring of Nutrition Project:
- Ensure that beneficiaries and local populations understand the project objectives and participate actively in their implementation
- Ensure the proper organization and functioning of the project teams, and ensure compliance with goals defined in the project proposal
- Notably, Follow up the performance indicators defined, reports on progress to his/her immediate supervisor (Nutrition PM), indicate difficulties encountered in project implementation, and propose improvements or reorganization based on needs
- Ensure that the teams are following up proper implementation protocols, and applying them according to international and national recommendations and guidelines
- Ensure that members of his/her teams and CNMs as the case may be, are provided with safety gear adapted to their activities
- Alert the Field Coordinator without delay, in case of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries
- Participate in identifying nutrition-related needs in coordination with the Nutrition PM, Deputy Field Coordinator, and the Medical Coordinator
- Supervise and foster a functional referral system of beneficiaries within PUI project sites and partners’ designated health facilities
- Assist in the planning activities and ensure that activities are met in a timely manner. In the event of serious delays in project implementation, immediately inform Nutrition PM and propose solutions to remedy the situation
- When required, Participate in needs assessments in relation to project needs
- Assist in capacity building, including archiving the documents, tools and training materials in the context of the project and ensure the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the project documents
- Ensure the implementation of monitoring and/or evaluations, according to the defined needs of the project
- In close collaboration with the Nutrition Project Manager, Participate in activities related to country nutrition program strategy, especially considering the quality of activities, the technical choices to be made, and reporting obligations
- In collaboration with the Nutrition Project Manager, Contribute to the elaboration of proposals
- With the support of Nutrition Project Manager, ensure smooth implementation of IYCF and CMAM activities integrated with Food Security and Protection sectors according to the work plans, national and international guidelines. This will include supervision and support of the functions of the Community Outreach Workers and health facility staffs
- Actively support functional referral system from identification of malnutrition cases from different sources including community, health posts and other partners operating in the area, to treatment and follow up of project beneficiaries
- Familiarize with PUI Internal Rules and Procedure for the mission, and ensure that they are known and respected by each member of the nutrition project
- Familiarize with nutrition team job profiles, have them endorsed by the enrolled staff, and participate actively in the hiring process (candidates interviewing, testing, etc.).
- Follow up plans and organize capacity building and trainings in collaboration with the Nutrition PM
- Plan, organize and follow up the weekly/ monthly implementation of the action plan, after being endorsed by the Nutrition PM
- Solve team conflicts, if any occurs among the team
- Conduct appraisals every six months for the staffs under his/her supervision
Monitoring And Reporting:
- Participate in follow-up and analysis of data related to nutrition activities in collaboration with the Nutrition PM, Nutrition Advisor and Medical Coordinator
- Prepare information needed for the Nutrition sector reporting for submission to the Nutrition Project Manager
- Support and monitor coordination mechanisms specific to the nutrition team and ensures proper supervision of its implementation
- Ensure the security rules in the field are respected, the safety of the field officers is guaranteed and the regular communication with the security focal person is maintained
- With the support of the Nutrition Project Manager and MEAL team, participate in the development and review of tools for data management when necessary
- Coordinate with the Nutrition project Manager in addressing any relevant issues related to the project implementation
Logistical and Administrative Support for the Nutrition Program:
- Work closely with other departments (Maiduguri base Pharmacy and Logistics) for ideal storage and use of nutrition supplies (consumables and operation equipment)
- Monitor and address needs for routine medications, therapeutic and supplementary supplies and operational equipment to the Nutrition PM, in line with available budgets;
- In coordination with the Nutrition PM, Logistics Department and Base Pharmacist, ensure appropriate supply plan, on weekly basis principle, for each PUI Nutrition sites under her/his designation
- Communicate to the Logistic Department on a weekly basis his/her needs related to vehicles and communication equipment for the implementation of program
- Contribute to the analysis of procurement bids for purchases of project items with technical specifications
- On a monthly basis, Provide the Nutrition PM with information necessary for the development of cash flow estimates specific to nutrition project activities
- In coordination with the Nutrition PM and Logistic Department, assist in other logistical components of his/her program (delivery, distribution, on-site storage, etc.)
Internal and external coordination:
- When required, Represent PUI before local actors involved in the implementation of nutrition project, and contribute to good relations within project partners
- In the event of visits from Donors, Participates actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit
- Draft the internal and external reports to his/her immediate supervisor (Nutrition PM) or/and the Nutrition Advisor or Medical Coordinator or other PUI Program Managers as required
- In agreement with the Nutrition PM, attend relevant meetings and participate actively
NB: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Quality implementation of CMAM and IYCF programs according to global and National guidelines
- Quality data management and reporting of CMAM and IYCF activities
- Support the integrated approach through effective referral within the nutrition components and with the other programs internally
- Build the capacity of the nutrition team on thematic areas related to nutrition
- Language skills: Fluent in Englishand Hausa, Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public Health and in a field related to Nutrition and or training/courses specific to Nutrition and Health in emergency contexts
- Work experience: At least 3 years of progressive work experience in the Nutrition sector, or 6 months a similar role as Nutrition Deputy Project Manager with an INGO
Knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrated understanding of the MOH systems and structure
- Previous experience in food distribution is an asset.
- Previous experience in Humanitarian assessment, monitoring and evaluation is an asset
- Computer Skills: Proficient user of MS office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Strong understanding of the political situation in the area
- Team management
- Stress management and flexibility
- Diplomacy and problem solving
- Capacity to mobilize community
- Have excellent organization skills, attention to detail, time management and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Have a strong capacity to represent PUI and sustain relations with partners