The Swansea University Research Scholarships fully funded (EPSRC) is offered to all nationalities. The scholarship allows a Ph.D. level program(s) in the field of Mathematics at the Swansea University. This scholarship is funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
Linear Algebra Scholarship 2021 -2022
Algorithmic questions pertaining to linear algebra are predominately studied by either taking the underlying field to be discrete (e.g. the rationals) or by forgoing a rigorous model of computation and instead focussing on the development of concrete numerical algorithms. The computable analysis provides a convenient framework to simultaneously consider non-discrete fields (e.g. real or complex numbers) and a rigorous model of computation (ultimately founded on Turing machines). However, only a few initial investigations have been undertaken so far, and the field is wide open for research by an ambitious Ph.D. student.
Many interesting computational problems in linear algebra will not be computable in general (this holds e.g. for solving systems of linear equations, finding the rank of a matrix or computing the orthogonal complement of a subspace in infinite dimensions). In these cases, it is very interesting to determine how non-computable the problem is, using the framework of Weihrauch degrees. Such results let us draw conclusions to what extent additional input information or a relaxed notion of the algorithm can resolve the non-computability.
Level of Degree:
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Scholarship is available to undertake Ph.D. level programs at Swansea University.
Field of Study:
What is the Value of Swansea University Research Scholarships fully-funded?
The scholarship is valued at £15,245
Nationalities that are Eligible Linear Algebra Scholarship 2021 -2022?
Criteria for Eligibility:
To be eligible candidates must:
- Have a First, Upper Second Class Honours or a Master’s degree with Merit, in a relevant discipline
- For candidates whose first language is not English, we require IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each component) or equivalent.
How to Apply to the Linear Algebra Scholarship 2021 -2022
To apply, please complete and submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- Research Scholarship Application Form 2021
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Monitoring Form_Ffurflen Monitro
- Academic References – all scholarship applications require two supporting references to be submitted. Please ensure that your chosen referees are aware of the funding deadline, as their references form a vital part of the evaluation process. Please either include these with your scholarship application or ask your referees to send them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Transcripts and Degree Certificates – academic transcripts and degree certificates must be submitted along with the scholarship application by the funding deadline. We will be using these to verify your academic qualifications.
- A recent CV
- Candidates should use the ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ section of the application form to explain why the award they are applying for particularly matches their skills and experience and how they would choose to develop the project.
Please email the documents with ‘EPSRC DTP 21 LINEAR ALGEBRA SCHOLARSHIP 2021-2022’ in the email subject header.
Informal inquiries are welcome by emailing Dr. Arno Pauly (A.M.Pauly@Swansea.ac.uk).